Sunday May 30th
Sunday evening we had a Bible study at Sarah and Jeff's house, who will be our next door neighbors when we finally move into our house. Sarah is originally from Chicago, but has lived all over the world and is expecting, and Jeff is Kenyan. Mary Lou and John had invited us and it was a good time of worship and fellowship.
Sunday evening we had a Bible study at Sarah and Jeff's house, who will be our next door neighbors when we finally move into our house. Sarah is originally from Chicago, but has lived all over the world and is expecting, and Jeff is Kenyan. Mary Lou and John had invited us and it was a good time of worship and fellowship.
What a blessing and answered prayer-- meeting other Christians!
Mary Lou offered to take me around town on Monday and show me where all the shops were. The main grocery store in Pemba tries to cater to expats and therefore is very expensive.
-------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------
Monday May 31st
Monday morning I walked to Mary Lou's and we went to visit Iris Ministries. Iris is a nondenominational Christian mission for orphaned and abandonded children (They also own the only horses in Pemba).
~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. - Matthew 5:3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mary Lou introduced me to Janet and Jeff, who run Iris Ministries in Pemba, and gave me a tour which was heartbreaking, yet inspiring. The many children that have no home other than Iris... There were a good 30 or so people there, mainly from the states, visiting for mission work. They are building playground equipment for the kids, teaching, and doing ourtreach programs in the villages nearby.
From Iris we went to all the local shops and then to the "batata market" (potato market). I LOVE the word "batata"! We weaved in and out of little huts and stores where we came across the vegetable and fruit stands. Papaya, lettuce, batatas, peppers, and they had avacados the size of small watermelons! The most exciting food I found was CILANTRO! I couldn't believe it! I started jumping up and down like a little kid...Mary Lou, I'm sure thought I was crazy! I bought some bunches (10 cents each) and began planning for the salsa! Its really rare to find cilantro here and Alan and I have been craving Mexican food since we got on the Houston to London BA flight!!!!
Mary Lou took me to the bulk store...its a lot like Sam's... =) ha ha
As soon as Mary Lou dropped me back home, I told Alan he'd have to download a tortilla recipe and find some onions on his way home.
That evening we made flour tortillas and ate salsa and tortillas for dinner!!!! YUM-O!!
Its the little things like fresh cilantro that can make for a perfect day!!!
Bekki, AMAZING detail and discriptions! I am jumping up and down (in the market in my imagination) and twirling you around by the arms because Cilantro is one of my own most favortie spices! Iris Ministries sounds amazing. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures! I am trying to figure out what would happens if I run away to Africa... Do the student loan police give my family the shake down? Wonder if Sallie Mae has forbearance options for missionary work/ bummin' it in a foreign country? Tell Alan your guest room/office is safe for now... Atleast until I get these minor details worked out ;)
ReplyDeleteI always did prefer shopping the African markets rather than where the expats shopped. So much more interesting! to say nothing of the money saved...
ReplyDelete