Well, about 15 minutes later, Bekki was at the front of the immigration line, so she got my attention. At this point, I was very frustrated because I didn't really understand the process (or the language on the form I was filling out). Bekki ended up getting out of line because he didn't know how long I would be. Turns out it took about another 30 seconds. So, we both ended up back at the end of the immigration line to wait for about another 15 minutes.
Once we got situated on the Mozambican side, I proudly informed Bekki it would be just a few more minutes because the South African side is much better organized. My first thought that I was wrong was when we saw the line of people all the way out of the door to the immigration office. My next thought that I was wrong was when we hadn't moved up in the line in the first 5 minutes. Finally, we got to the door and read a sign that apologized for the delay because of an upgrade to their security system. We laughed and joked about the fact that the Mozambican side was so much faster and they literally used an excel spreadsheet. The laughter was just on the surface, though because i was seriously agitated that the park was already open and there were critters that needed us to look at them. We were seriously letting them down.
Well, we spent about 45 minutes in line for immigration. Then we had to get the vehicle temporarily imported into South Africa. This was much more straight forward due to the fact that the forms were in English instead of Portuguese. Bekki noticed that there was a section on the form to declare any electronic equipment (cameras, computers etc.). She pointed it out to me and I very proudly (in the tone of a seasoned traveler) said we were in a hurry and that would only slow us down. Not to mention, I had never (only 3 times previously) been checked before. Guess what? Once everything was finished, and we were in the car headed out of the border check station, we got waved to the side. They asked where our customs papers were for our cameras. I, to say the least was not happy. So, back to the customs office we went.
After arriving at the border at about 6:45, we finally left at about 8:30. the park had opened at 6:30, so those poor critters had to stand there and wait for 2 hours before we could get there to see them. Here are some of the more photogenic ones that were kind enough to wait on us....
Baby Elephant.
We literally saw thousands of impalas, close to a hundred elephants, a herd of over 500 buffalo crossing the road in front of us, cheetahs (pictures didn't come out very good), lots of rhinos, hippopotami, crocodiles, guineas, mongeese, giraffes, and many many more.
Ya'll come see us so Bekki and I will have a good excuse to go again.
Love the photos! Can't wait to come visit next year!!!
ReplyDeleteSara
Hysterical Alan! Glad they didn't throw you into a detainement center for smuggling all those cameras across the border :) Wiley tourists. You simply cannot be trusted. Your photos and captions are phenomenal, my favorite being the backsides of the Baboons and "This Bird." Thanks so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLOVE the photos! Yall are having an amazing adventure!
ReplyDeleteJust one word of advice, Alan. I don't know you, but I do know your wife! You should listen to her!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm just catching up on all your adventures. Sounds like you guys are doing well and having a blast! Miss you and love you!
ReplyDeleteOMgosh...I just read thru all of your blog updates...Bekki and Alan...ya'll are just awesome. The Lord has been so good to you and used your advertous spirits in a place that many of us could never imagine. I can't wait to come for a visit. In the meantime, please continue to post updates and pics.
ReplyDeleteHey Bekki and Alan,
ReplyDeleteThe bird is an eastern yellow bill hornbill bird I think. Loved the pics. Can't wait to read more!