If you've ever heard Phil Vassar's "Just Another Day In Paradise" song, that sums our life up here! Its Mozambique--its a third world country; nothing goes as planned, the boxed milk sours, electrical appliances never work... But it is Paradise and we love it!

"Its just another day in paradise. Well, there's no place that I'd rather be. Well, its two hearts and one dream, I wouldn't trade it for anything. And I ask the Lord everynight, for just another day in paradise!" (Phil Vassar)





Thursday, June 10, 2010

Only in Africa

Only in Africa might you:

  • see a grown man wearing a santa hat through town during the month of May
  • see a 3 year old little girl wearing flip flops sized for a 16 year old
  • see children laughing and playing atop a trash pile
  • see trash piled up on rocks right above the ocean...waiting for the rains to wash it away
  • see little boys running down the street pulling a string attached to a small box (with or without wheels attached)
  • see a drunk guy in the middle of the road doing the "robot"
  • assume that an orange shirt goes with red dress pants
  • be given a wine menu only to learn that the restaurant doesn't have even one bottle listed
  • be able to buy lobster for 30 cents US
  • wave at children on the street and get them screaming, smiling, and waving back at you
  • ask to take a picture of a random group of children and have 20 more want to join in the picture, all posing of course
  • see dead butterfly fish for sale at the fish market
  • see 30 people packed into the back of a taxi truck
  • watch a guy walk down the street with a box full of fish on his head...fish scales and wetness streaming down his face
  • witness children younger than 4 holding hands and crossing streets with younger children, absolutely not supervised by a parent
  • see girls younger than the age of 5 carrying babies on their backs
  • hear "Achy Breaky Heart" while eating at a Thai Restaurant
  • eat a grain or two of sand in every bite of food
  • see kids taking goats for a walk
  • pack a family of four on a motorcycle

3 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm really hormonal (Oh, who am I kidding! I'm always a "wee bit" emotional) but that imagery brought tears to my eyes. This could be a great theme for you while you're there. The "Only in Africa" updates. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You are so lucky to be able to experience all this! I hope you are writing this all down on real paper ( do they have that there?) so you will be able to remember all this in years to come! Love you! Katie

    ReplyDelete